- Single - 13' X 11' 2"
- Double - 14' 10" X 11' 3"
- Triple - 13' 6" X 15' 5"
- Quad - 17' X 17' 5"
Are you a new student? Our New Student Checklist will help make your transition to Westfield State smooth.×
Opened in 1956, Scanlon Hall houses 354 mostly first year and sophomore students in single, double, triple, and quad style rooms. The laundry room is located on the basement level just before the game room. It includes several high efficiency washers and dryers (only high efficiency detergent should be used with the washers). Vending machines are located off the lobby, in the laundry room and in the game room.
In addition to Health Services being located in the Annex first floor, Scanlon Hall also serves as the location of the Residential Life Office which is located in Annex garden level.
Laundry room with efficiency washers & dryers
Scanlon Hall is named after Edward Scanlon, a Holyoke native who served as President of Westfield State University from 1938-1961 and lived in this residence hall's east wing apartment for several years (this area is now student bedrooms).
Scanlon spent much of his tenure as President fighting political pressures to close the College. Once the future of the College was secured, deterioration of the College's downtown facilities led to legislative approval to build a new campus on 30 acres of city-donated land. Scanlon Hall was one of the two original buildings at this site when the College moved from Court Street to Western Avenue in 1956; the other, Parenzo Hall, was the classroom and administrative building. Scanlon was an all-female residence hall from its opening until the 1990's, when it became coed.
Scanlon Hall has had two significant additions in its lifetime:
A comprehensive renovation of the Scanlon Banquet Hall was completed in 2014. In 2009 and 2010 all of the bathrooms underwent renovation and offices were moved to increase the number of students Scanlon could hold. Renovations to the lobby, installation of an elevator, and a significant expansion of upper floor lounge spaces were completed in 2007.