Dickinson Hall

Dickinson Hall
Dickinson Double Room
Check out more photos and floor plans

Opened in 1968, Dickinson Hall houses 275 mostly first-year and sophomore students in single, double, and quad style rooms.  The laundry room is located behind the mailbox area and includes high efficiency washers and dryers (only high efficiency detergent should be used with the washers).  The vending machines are located in the same area.


Room Sizes
  • Double w/Hallway - 11' 3" X 13'
    (Hallway 3' X 6' 6")
  • Double w/o Hallway - 11' 4" X 13"
  • Single - 11' 4" X 9' 5"

Amenities
  • High efficiency washers & dryers

  • Vending machines


Residence Hall History

Dickinson Hall opened in 1968.  It is named for John W. Dickinson (1825-1901), an education innovator who was promoted from the faculty to be the fourth leader of Westfield State University (then described as Principal of the Westfield Normal School).  Dickinson, born in Chester and educated at Williston Academy, served in this role from 1856-1877.  

The current Dickinson Hall is actually the second College building to bear this name.  The first was a boarding hall that served the College at its downtown location from 1903 until 1956, when the College moved to its current site.

It was not by accident that Dickinson Hall, which originally housed all women, was placed near Scanlon Hall, the other female hall; and that both are distant from Davis Hall, which was the only men's residence hall for many years.  The unusual bathroom configuration in this hall was a product of its time, when visitors of the opposite sex were not allowed beyond the first floor of the building.  Another prominent feature of Dickinson Hall is the Commons Room.

Significant recent renovations in Dickinson include fire suppression system upgrades, new bedroom ceilings and lighting in 2002, new furniture in 2005, and new windows and flooring in 2007.

Contact Us